Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Another Co-Worker With Braces



Today at work I spotted an adult co-worker with braces. I had no idea this person had braces! I was pretty excited about it, like we would become instant friends or something, but I couldn't bring myself to tell him that I too would soon have braces. Instead, I just kept staring and staring at his teeth. I tried to focus on his eyes, but I just couldn't! I kept hoping he would just open his mouth a little more when he spoke, so I could get a better look. I needed to see for myself...on a real, live adult, what my fate holds. I have to say, he really has perfected the closed-mouth conversation. Cheers to him! I bet he fools people. I pray I can fool people.

I wanted so bad to tell him, "Hey, I'm getting braces too!"...but I couldn't. In my head, I couldn't find any nice way to start up that conversation. It was as if saying, "Hey! I'm going bald too" or "Hey, my acne has come back more red than in high school too!." I just couldn't bring myself to say, "Hey, you've got braces!" in a happy, cheerful tone. "I'm getting braces too" sounded too depressing. And "Oh, you have braces?" seemed rude. I didn't want to sound all bummed out about soon having braces, being that he currently is living with braces. For a moment there I even thought, maybe he was actually happy about having braces?

Then my phone rang -- no way in hell.

No comments: